When I first read the opening paragraph to the 9/11 Report, I thought it sounded like a children’s book. Now, after rereading it a few times, I think it is better classified as a dramatic, documentary opener. I can just hear the narrator from “Law and Order” reading the paragraph while scenes of New York, D.C, and Florida flash by.That’s when I had one of those ‘approaching-adulthood’ revelations. I was old enough during 9/11 to understand and see what had happened. For those who are younger than I am, or my children and grandchildren, they will need to read the 9/11 Report and see the dramatic documentary to only partially understand how the world felt on 9/11.

The witnesses of 9/11 were witnesses to history–not good history, but the kind that happens (hopefully only) once in a lifetime. Those who were not witnesses to the tragedy will never be able to relate to the images, stories, and movies, as we do. This is why, I think. people say, “Never forget.” They are worried that at one point or another, there will be no one left on earth who remembers what it was like to be a witness. At that point, 9/11 becomes just another page in an American History textbook.