I’ll admit, I couldn’t help myself from doing a bit of research! Here is an interesting article discussing Sex and the City‘s response to 9/11. The article mostly repeats a lot of what we heard yesterday, but it also mentions that the producers decided that an episode with military members in it counted as a tribute. (I’ve seen that episode and 9/11 was the last thing I thought of. Not to mention it didn’t even air until July, 2002.)

The closest thing the series ever had to a 9/11 tribute was the Season 4 finale, airing February, 2002. Titled, “I Heart NY,” it ended with a note reading, “Dedicated to our city of New York…then, now and forever.”

It’s interesting that a show which often referred to Manhattan as the “fifth character” wouldn’t even cover such a monumental and tragic day in the city’s history.

3 Responses to “Yesterday’s Discussion: Continued”

1. gallagher15 says:

Erin, I actually used that article too! I thought it was interesting too that they considered that episode a “tribute” too. I think one of the reasons, though, they didn’t cover it was because you can’t treat that kind of event lightly, in any way at all, especially so soon after the event. I think the only way to address it really was through dramas like Third Watch and the West Wing. If they had tried to address it in a comedy, there would have been too much criticism, and it wouldn’t have been worth the risk.

2. Marta says:

How funny that “Anchors Away” is considered a tribute of sorts. I never got a patriotic feeling from the Marines episode either, especially after Samantha’s seamen joke. But Carrie’s deeply emotional bond to New York City is obviously front-and-center in that episode, and I do think it’s all the more powerful to look at it in the context of post-9/11 mourning.

3. Olivia says:

I agree with DJ that the comedic nature of the show is what prevented a more earnest, detailed tribute to 9/11. It seems to me that people would look to a show like Sex and the City is more of an escape from painful reality than a lens through which to evaluate true tragedy.