Long Overdue

This is categorized under The Zero and that’s exactly why this post is so long overdue. It’s on page 150 when Paul is talking to Remy about making movies out of their 9/11 experiences.

He says everything goes through this cycle of opportunity: first inspirational stories, kids and animals, shit like that; then the backdrop stories, he called it the home front… and then the big money — thrillers. (Walter, 150)

So, I got curious. What kinds of movies have been made since 9/11 and how accurate is this “cycle”? In my research I found movies like Fahrenheit 9/11, Unit 93, World Trade Center, Remember Me, and, of course, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any rhyme or reason to the pattern of movies following 9/11. It is interesting, though, that you can find all of the categories Paul listed being represented by the videos I found.

Since I can’t talk a lot about the pattern in these movies and why I think that is, I’ll instead give brief commentary on the movies in this list that I have seen.

Obviously we’ve all seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, so I’ll start there. I thought the movie (not related to the book) portrayed and experience I could imagine a boy like Oskar having. The longing and desire to overcome his father’s death seems accurate. The estrangement between him and his mother is plausible. Overall, I think this movie provides a very real image of what recovering from 9/11 would be like. Not to mention, it’s about “kids and animals, shit like that” (Walter, 150).

I watched Fahrenheit 9/11  right after it came out and I remember mostly being confused and unconcerned with all the big people issues the movie dealt with. As with all of Michael Moore’s documentaries this one is very opinionated (though that’s probably too weak of a word). IMDB says “[Michael Moore is] famous for his provocative populist documentaries that are unapologetic attacks on social wrongs, including those he considers callous business corporations and opportunistic right wing politicians.” This movie deals with his beliefs that the government manipulated the events of 9/11 to be used as cause for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I’d consider this to be a meat and potatoes movie dealing with the events surrounding 9/11.

The only other movie I’ve watched on this list was Remember Me, which, for those of you who have also seen this movie, know it starts it as a pretty typical romance. However, (SPOILER ALERT) it ends with Tyler Hawkins’ death in the 9/11 attack. My friend who is four years younger than me went to see this movie in theaters with her mom and little brother when it first came out. Her mom was incredibly upset because she was caught off guard with the closing scenes. She wanted a warning because she wouldn’t have taken her daughter and son to watch the movie had she known. This movie is hard to categorize because it deals with kids, is about the events in a life leading up to 9/11, and is a thriller when you begin to notice the signs that 9/11 is coming. I remember showing my mom and when she saw the date “Tuesday, September 11, 2001” on the blackboard she started to cry. This movie is one of the sadder movies of those that I’ve seen.

On a completely unrelated note, if you’re looking for more 9/11 centered reading after this class, here’s a list.

3 Responses to “Long Overdue”

1. Marta says:

I already accidentally said this under Olivia’s last post, but I noticed that one of the books on the list you linked is by Rick Veitch, who is responsible for the childbirth illustration I exposed you all to in my oral report. I had no idea he did anything other than comics illustration.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/302697.Can_t_Get_No

2. gallagher15 says:

I think it’s interesting that the movies that were released the soonest after 9/11, like United 93 and World Trade Center, were so realistic and actually occurred during the events themselves. For example, movies that dealt with the Holocaust, that were released soon after, dealt with the ramifications of it on victims, not the events themselves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films The Diary of Anne Frank wasn’t released until 1959. Its interesting that we can explore these events, now, so soon afterwards with film, not twenty years later.

• Jenny Mix says:

I think that our world has become so technological and ignorant of literature. People don’t read as much but they do watch more movies. This is my explanation for why the movies came out in the order they did. Back in the 1950’s books were read more and movies were more of a treat, at least that’s the picture my parents have painted for me.