In the process of writing my final blog post, I came across something interesting.

Thanks, as usual, to the wonders of the internet, I found this.

Yes, that is a film version of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, set for 2013. And yes, Kate Hudson is Erica.

This is just one of those things that I had to post because I had absolutely no idea of its existence, and also because of our discussions about film adaptations, particularly in relation to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Am I the only one who didn’t know about it? If anyone wants to share how they feel about it, I would love to hear. Personally, after having discussed it so deeply (and, often disturbingly) in class, I’m a bit surprised that it was picked up to be adapted into film.

Also, check out the description and the current genre IMDb has it tagged as.

Oh, and I found a picture that is apparently of Erica and Changez from the film.

7 Responses to “Something I Couldn’t Help Sharing”

1. stewart15 says:

I think it’s really exciting that there is going to be a movie! I think it will be interesting to see what they do with it, because like you said we discussed it very thoroughly. We could have a class reunion movie night, (:

2. Marta says:

Dude! I second the class reunion movie night sentiment whole-heartedly.
    Who is Bobby? Is Bobby the American? If so, I suppose Liev Schreiber looks the part…he also directed the film adaptation of Everything is Illuminated, which makes me geek. I wonder the extent to which Hamid was involved with this, and the extent to which assigning a name to the American (much less a name as vanilla as Bobby) sort of screws with things on an allegorical level.
    Looking over the cast, I’m confused as to who Ludlow Cooper and Agents Jackson, Ford, and Amreh are. And as to where Juan-Bautista went. Sounds like somebody has been taking some liberties. As for the core cast, Kate Hudson is magical and looks nice with dark hair, so I can’t complain. But I never felt like Jim was nearly as smarmy as me and my mom always thought Kiefer Sutherland was (my mom calls him sh*theadface). Lafayette from True Blood as Wainwright is a win.

3. Olivia says:

I have to agree with both of you about the movie night. And I’m thinking that Bobby is probably the American. Looking at the character list and the genre, I really just wonder how they’re going to approach the underlying darkness of the novel, as well as its allegorical complexities. There are parts of the book that I think could be extremely powerful on screen, even difficult to watch, if done carefully.

• Marta says:

It’s true that if I was the queen of everything and could demand that any of the books we’ve read be turned into a film, this probably would have been my last pick. Maybe tied with Falling Man. The Zero, as Verena has already suggested, would probably lend itself quite well to film, and Aaron & Ahmed could be a trip as well, depending on the execution.
      Since we’ve compared The Reluctant Fundamentalist to The Submission a good bit in class, I have to say that I did find them to be pretty different novels. As you indicated (and as I’ve expounded on at some length before), The Reluctant Fundamentalist is dark in ways that The Submission only approaches in Sean’s near-harassment of Claire at her home and in the murder of Asma Anwar; I found Changez to be rather despicable by the end, much more so than even Alyssa Spier or any of the really awful minor characters like Lou Sarge or Geraldine Bitman.
      I’m also tempted to suggest that the two books are almost polar opposites in terms of perspective as well, with the retrospective narrative of The Reluctant Fundamentalist being utterly subjective and The Submission making an attempt at a kind of objectivity in offering multiple conflicting points of view, as well as a real-time depiction of change over a period of months and later years.
      All this being said, if I was making The Reluctant Fundamentalist film, I think I would find the juxtaposition of Changez’s narrative with the potentially more objective medium of film to be a powerful tool. I would probably use voice-overs, and they would probably not match whatever was happening on the screen. Depending on how this is done, perhaps the makers of the film will be able to depict some aspect of the story more clearly.

4. Okay, I promise to organize a movie night…

5. Jenny Mix says:

Personally, I find the description of the movie to be quite interesting. That’s not how I would have described the book… I see it as more of “the story of a man in America for school and work before, during, and after the 9/11 attacks.” But I suppose that wouldn’t sell as many tickets.

I’m all for the movie night, I’d love to see how this turns out in movie form.