Art and 9/11

Throughout all my years as a student, I have been asked the question: What is Art? It seems like the universal answer to this question is that it is a form of expression, and as seen in this class, expression is often needed during times of tragedy. September 11, 2001 was a horrible date for the United States of America, one that quite literally stripped us of words. I believe those who were artistic enough, as well as a few who were not, found it much easier to place all of their feelings in another medium; Art. The books that have been read throughout the semester were all about 9/11, but they all had individual meanings and it often seemed that 9/11 was a background topic. In fact, many of them could have meant something different for each person who read them. I think that is the beauty of art: There is nothing concrete, it truly is interpretation. Although the artist obviously has a clear intention, that intention is not definite.

The title for this course was beautiful. Art literally rose from the ashes of 9/11, and I am sure that it will continue to do so for decades to come.

Thanks for such a great course. I learned so much, not only from JGB, but from everyone in the class. It always amazes me to see the interpretations of other people because often it shows me how little I understand about life. I can certainly say I feel more artistic leaving this class.

Until Next Year,

Kasey Stewart