Surprisingly…

While reading The Submission, I was completely insulted by the ignorance of the majority of the characters in the book. Although I feel like that ignorance represented the idea of Islamophobia after 9/11, it was still horrible knowing Americans really did have that reaction. For a country built on freedoms, it seems like the citizens of this country are always taking the freedoms from each other. Anyway, the actual point of my post is that although ignorance was a pretty strong theme in the book, when it came to Khan’s trial, the people who spoke for and against him all had surprisingly sound arguments (with the exception of a few). As the public forum began, it was in Alyssa’s point of view. As a journalist she was obviously very curious as to how the speakers were chosen, but “U.S. PEAK’s emcee … Winnie gave no indication of how the list had been assembled” (232 according to my nook). At that point, following the pattern of ignorance throughout the book, as well as shown during Khan’s speech, I thought all of the speakers would completely bash Khan. However, starting with Alan Bolton, the first speaker, the arguments were rather sound. Instead of being rude about the situation, he simply said he thought it was a bit insensitive. I think that was a lot better than other things that had been said prior to the forum and made his argument against Khan seem more valid. The next speaker was Arthur Chang, and he was for Khan. The fact that he had nothing┬ábad to say about him was even more surprising than the friendly argument against the memorial. Debbie Dawson was the next speaker, and she obviously had something rude to say… The next person was Arlo Eisenmann. He was concerned that a garden was too fragile, which had nothing to do with the architect! Most other arguments for or against the design had been for or against Khan, not┬áthe garden. Anyways, I think my point has been made. I’m not sure if anyone else was shocked by the forum, but I certainly was. I think the list of speakers was fairly compiled, and I initially thought it would be rigged. The outcome of the book surprised me after this point because I really thought the garden would become the memorial.

Opinions?

One Response to “Surprisingly…”

1. Kasey: I began editing this, but it has far too many errors for me to move through it quickly. Please go back and proofread this post (as well as your other posts) and correct your errors.